After the leaves have changed colors and the days have turned colder, it’s time to prepare your home for winter and seek pool cleaner storage. While this can feel daunting, preparing your house for winter is important and can keep you and your family warm and cozy during the colder months. Along with checking your heating system, cleaning out the gutters, turning off the sprinkler system, and making sure that all your safety alarms are working, pool owners have some extra tasks, including storing robotic pool cleaners.
Just like a bear hibernates over winter, properly storing your pool cleaner during the winter will ensure that your pool cleaner is ready to tackle any job come spring. While our robotic pool cleaners are built to last, you should still take several precautions when storing your cleaner in the offseason. Storing your cleaner isn’t complicated; just be sure to follow these steps:
- Disconnect. Make sure to disconnect your robotic pool cleaner from its power supply before storing it.
- Make sure your pool cleaner is dry. Storing your pool cleaner while it’s still wet or moist can do some irreversible damage to the motor and other mechanisms in your cleaner. We recommend using a microfiber towel to give the cleaner a good wipedown before storage.
- Rollin’ rollin’ rollin’ – when preparing to store the Dolphin robotic cleaner, be sure to roll the cable of your pool cleaner like a garden hose so there are no kinks. Kinks can interrupt the water flow in the cable come spring.
- Deep clean – Don’t forget to empty the filter bag or cartridges and place them back in the unit prior to storing. You don’t want to find months-old debris in the cleaner come summer.
- Avoid the elements – Find your robotic pool cleaner a cozy home, away from rain, frost, or snow (and even direct sunlight). Also avoid extreme temperatures. We also recommend purchasing a Dolphin-sized caddy for storage. Alternatively, store your robotic pool cleaner upside down.